Friday, June 8, 2007

Say Goodnight To The Bad Guy

**SPOILER ALERT** If you have not be watching the last few episodes of The Sopranos, skip this post and go read my NBA Finals prediction.


We are approaching the end of an era. It’s tough actually saying those words out loud (or typing them). This almost feels like breaking up with a girlfriend or quitting a really cool, long-lasting job. Even as I put my thoughts together I can't really express exactly how I feel. I'm numb, I'm sad, I'm scared, I'm excited, I'm leery, I'm....weird yeah I know but this show means a lot to me.
Flashback - 2001. I had just moved into a three-bedroom apartment with two of my best friends in the whole world. We were fresh out of college and ready to take on the world. The apartment was a kick ass bachelor pad...3 bedroom/3 bath, fireplace, vaulted ceilings, but the best part was our deck out in the back. We were regulars out on that deck, beers in hand, bbq grill a blazin. But, like most people with roommates, we had our struggles for a while. Arguments over dishes, bills, dirty underwear hanging from the ceiling fan, and people coming and going at all hours were common.

The one thing that really brought us together was The Sopranos. We had our Sunday routine down, no matter what had happened during that week. We would stock the fridge full of cheap beer and buy the best cuts of meat $8 an hour could buy. We even broke a few man laws by inviting over one of our girlfriends so she could cook some side dishes (twice-baked potatoes were our favorite - thanks Stephanie). Sundays were the best! As you can probably tell, by the time the show started we were stuffed and half drunk...it doesn't get much better than that.

That's just one example of how much this show means to me. And I would have to agree with Rich's point that The Sopranos is the greatest show of our generation. The character development has been top-shelf. The writing has been superb, granted there were a few bumps in the road. Overall, there hasn't been a show in our lifetime that comes close to the social impact The Sopranos has made on our society. (If anyone mentions Sex and the City, I'll piss in your martini....just saying is all.)

With that being said, it's time for the show to end. While these last few episodes have been great, the writing has slipped a bit...even if nobody wants to admit it. The show just doesn't have that same oomph. It's lost a bit on it's fastball. It no longer throws down thunderous jams. It has to cheat a little up the middle to turn a double play. The Sopranos was on the verge of turning into that star athlete that hangs on too long. It was almost Michael Jordan suiting up for the Wizards, or Emmitt Smith donning a Cardinals jersey, or Willie Mays playing for the Mets. Plus, there's no turning back now. Bobby and Christopher are dead, Silvio is in a coma, AJ is past the point of no return. Who's left to run the "family"....Paulie?

So here we are, the end. How's it all gonna play out? The rumor for years was that Tony's mother, Livia, would be the one to kill him. But Nancy Marchand's death in real-life made this ending impossible. Will Tony get whacked? Will he end up in jail? Will he live happily ever after? My money says he gets whacked. I think it's almost a must that he kill Phil Leotardo so we don't remember Tony as a coward, hiding in his Uncle's bedroom. I see this playing out something like this.....Tony kills Phil but takes a bullet and dies a slow death. I think we'll at least get a moment of reflection from Tony, whether it be on his death-bed or from a jail cell. The popular ending is that Paulie Walnuts turns on Tony and whacks him himself. But, after much deliberation, I don't think this will happen. I think we'll be led to believe Paulie is going to turn on Tony but he'll come through in the end....always has, always will.

The end...huh....still tough to admit it's almost over. I still don't want to let go. Oh well, at least we'll always have cheap beer and burnt bbq to get us through the tough times.

The People's Champ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You love Sex and The City and you know it. You were torn up about the Aidan/Carrie breakup - couldn't sleep for weeks. :) Shelly

Anonymous said...

Think Carmine will take over NY mob once Phil's whacked?