Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Are You Mocking Me?

The NBA draft is tomorrow night and I couldn’t be more excited. There are some bona-fide superstars in this draft (Durant and Oden), potential all-stars (Horford, Conley, Jianlian), and a whole group of guys that bring a specific skill to the table (Green – unselfish play, Noah – energy, Brewer – defense, Hawes – token white guy). So, even though this has been done by more websites than I can count, I thought it would be a great idea to put together a mock draft. What’s a mock draft, you say? This is where I try to look really smart by guessing where a player will get drafted. In then end though, I’ll probably just prove how much of an idiot I really am.

Here are my predictions for the top 10 along with who I think the team should pick. We’ll revisit this Friday morning and I’m sure we’ll all have a big laugh.

1. Portland Trailblazers - Greg Oden, C
The great debate of 2007 will always be remembered as Oden vs Durant. The fact is, both of these players are legitimate big-time prospects…you can’t go wrong either way. Conventional wisdom says take the big center (Oden) over the high scoring forward (Durant) and I don’t think Portland’s GM will risk his job by bucking that trend.
My pick: Greg Oden - even if I do have a man-crush on Durant.

2. Seattle Supersonics – Kevin Durant, SF
Talk about a consolation prize. Sonics GM Sam Presti can put this pick on auto pilot.
My pick: Kevin Durant - I’ve got my #35 Sonics jersey all picked out.

3. Atlanta Hawks – Al Horford, PF
If picks 1a and 1b are Oden and Durant, Horford is clearly the third best player in this draft. Although a bit undersized Horford makes up for that with toughness and determination. We have to keep in mind though that Atlanta is on the clock here. They’ve messed up more drafts than the St. Louis Rams. The question becomes will Atlanta take the best player on the board or fill a need with this pick.
My pick: Al Horford – While they’re loaded with power forwards and desperately need a point guard, there’s no way you pass on Horford.

4. Memphis Grizzlies – Joakim Noah, PF
Just about every expert mock draft I’ve read has Mike Conley going here but that doesn’t make any sense. The team drafted its point guard of the future last year in Kyle Lowry. So why would they draft a near identical player this year? I think Noah is wildly overrated but this is who they’ll probably take.
My pick: Jeff Green – Green fills the void left by the Shane Battier trade last year. Green is a similarly unselfish, pass-first forward that would compliment this team better than a pure hustle guy who can’t shoot in Noah.

5. Boston Celtics – Yi Jianlian, PF
The Celtics have been at the center of nearly every possible trade scenario this off season and every one involves this pick being traded. It’s not very often that a 7 foot perimeter player comes along with as much talent as Yi (think Dirk Nowitzki) so I think they’ll jump on this pick.
My pick: Yi Jianlian – but I don’t think Boston holds on to this pick. Golden State has been rumored to be completely infatuated with Yi so I think they’ll move up to this pick and get him.

6. Milwaukee Bucks – Mike Conley Jr., PG
Most mock drafts do not have Conley dropping below the number 4 pick but I think he will. The only two teams ahead of Milwaukee that would even consider Conley are Atlanta and Memphis. I previously mentioned that Memphis has their PG of the future and Atlanta is notorious for passing on point guards. Plus, the Hawks have the 11th pick that can be used on a guard.
My pick: Mike Conley – Even if Conley can’t shoot the rock, I think he’ll be a great PG for years to come (think Tony Parker).

7. Minnesota Timberwolves – Spencer Hawes, C
The Kevin Garnett trade watch has been one of the most intriguing sub-plots this off-season. Whether or not the T-Wolves trade Garnett (I don’t think they will) has no bearing on this pick. I think Minnesota GM Kevin McHale (big, tall white guy) will take another big, tall white guy. After all, Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer.
My pick: Corey Brewer – Brewer, an athletic, defensive-minded grinder (think Scottie Pippen), would be a steal at this pick.

8. Charlotte Bobcats – Corey Brewer, SG
I had Brandan Wright slotted to go here – Michael Jordan would never pass up on the opportunity to draft a fellow UNC player – but I’m going to assume that this pick gets traded to Phoenix or Philadelphia.
My pick: Brandan Wright – MJ loves his UNC boys so if they hold on to the pick, they take Wright.

9. Chicago Bulls – Julian Wright
Yet another team that will probably trade its pick. I think they trade this pick to Portland for Zach Randolph and Portland drafts Wright. Imagine a future starting five of Jarret Jack, Brandon Roy, Julian Wright, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Greg Oden. That’s scary!
My pick: Spencer Hawes – Chicago is desperate for low post scoring and Hawes is the next best thing in the draft after Oden. If they keep the pick, they take Hawes.

10. Sacramento Kings – Jeff Green
The Maloof brothers might actually wet themselves if Green slips this far (and then probably turn it into a reality show). The fact is one or two players will plummet in this draft. It happens every year but Green will not make it past this pick.
My pick: Thaddeus Young – The Kings are in a rebuilding phase and can wait a year or two for a player to develop. Young has tremendous potential and could be one of the best players to come out of this draft.


Random Thoughts
Rookie of the Year: Kevin Durant
Biggest initial impact: Corey Brewer – his defense will shine immediately
Most overrated prospect – Joakim Noah - he will be a bust…write that down
Most underrated prospect – Thaddeus Young
Biggest Busts – Noah, Brandan Wright, Spencer Hawes
Hours spent writing this for the two NBA fans left – 2

Trying to predict who will go where is almost impossible for any professional sports draft. This is especially true this year because of so many trade possibilities. I think there will be a handful of trades that will totally ruin my picks, but hey, what can you do? At least we’ll get a kick out of how wrong I’ll actually be.

The People’s Champ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, I can't wait to watch this all night. I SIMPLY CANNOT wait! :)
Shelly

Anonymous said...

I just wasted 3 minutes of life reading that? Can I get a refund? Shelly-meet me for a beer!!
-Davo

Anonymous said...

I waste 3 minutes of my life about once a week but you don't hear me asking for a refund.

-Abby